Recipes for a fancy meal … Lamb with a side of Brussel Sprouts, Bacon, and Apples
Posted on March 23, 2014
Phuc and Paula Luu know how to host a dinner party. They have made it onto my blog several times for their delicious food and fun times. The following is part of a dinner menu that is definitely worth sharing. The lamb recipe is simple and tasty – and it impresses guests! The side dish was also a fantastic combination that I would never have thought to try. Phuc let me take notes while he was cooking so I could share it here and reproduce it in my own home. I did not get entirely specific with the amount of each ingredient because it will depend largely on the size of your dinner party. Enjoy!
Main dish: Lamb
- Olive Oil
- Basil – half handful
- Rosemary – a couple sprigs
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees
- Put olive oil in a pan over medium high heat (You need to sear the lamb before cooking it…)
- Put the lamb in the hot pan … flip to seal on the most-exposed sides. (You may seal on some of the sides other sides if you desire.)
- Transfer the lamb to a baking sheet or a roasting pan. (You may or may not use the drainer pan)
- Slice half a handful of basil and pull the leaves off 2 rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle this on top of the meats. Save some for later.
- Place the lamb in the oven. (It will cook a total of 30 minutes.) Meanwhile…
- Put the following in a bowl: 1 teaspoon honey, olive oil that was left over in the pan from the searing, the basil and rosemary sprig leaves that were left over from earlier. (This is what you place on the meat after flipping it over.)
- After about 15 minutes into cooking the lamb, flip and put the herbs/honey/oil on top.
- Finish with a last 15 minutes of cooking.
Side Dish: Bacon/Apple/Brussel Sprouts dish
- Thick Bacon
- Brussel sprouts
- Slice the bacon into pieces.
- Chop the apples into slices or pieces.
- Throw the bacon into a pan and stir over medium high heat
- Cook the apples with bacon, stirring. (This will carmelize the apples.)
- Set it aside….
- Slice the brussel sprouts in half.
- Microwave the brussel sprouts for three minutes. (This speeds up the cooking time.)
- Add brussel sprouts to the bacon and apple pan, turn the heat back on and sauté for five minutes.
Side dish: Asparagus
* Cook your asparagus how you like. There is a simple recipe here.
Make the plate!
Plate the lamb, put fresh rosemary sprigs on top, two roasted asparagus per person, and dish out some of the brussel sprouts. Yum.